Sawmill Community Land Trust is a 501(c)3 nonprofit membership organization with a mission of developing vibrant, prosperous neighborhoods through the creation and stewardship of permanently affordable housing and sustainable economic opportunities for low- to moderate-income families. We empower communities through civic engagement, education and advocacy. Incorporated in 1994, Sawmill Community Land Trust serves Albuquerque and Bernalillo County, New Mexico.
Sawmill Community Land Trust takes a comprehensive approach to the housing challenges faced by low- and moderate-income families by demonstrating a 360-degree, long-term commitment to both our clients and neighborhoods.
Our organizational goals for accomplishing our mission include:
- Create a permanent reserve of affordable housing for families at, or below, 80% of Area Median Income
- Carefully steward and manage our portfolio of affordable housing in order to maintain subsidies and quality
- Provide financial education and counseling to first-time homebuyers in order to help ensure their success
- Provide “as needed” support and counseling to existing homeowners who may be facing unforeseen personal or financial challenges
- Develop retail/commercial/light industrial spaces that benefit the community with job creation and needed services
- Help protect existing residents from negative impacts of new development
- Empower residents to make informed decisions about their future
- Create a built environment that retains its physical integrity for future generations while preserving the natural attributes and cultural history of the community
- Support ecological renewal and energy conservation
- Connect land trust residents, citizen leaders and neighborhood associations with resources through referrals and advocacy in order to support and strengthen families and neighborhoods