Mission and Goals
Sawmill Community Land Trust is a 501(c)3 nonprofit membership organization with a mission of developing vibrant, prosperous neighborhoods through the creation and stewardship of permanently affordable housing and sustainable economic opportunities for low- to moderate-income families. We empower communities through civic engagement, education and advocacy. Incorporated in 1994, Sawmill Community Land Trust serves Albuquerque and Bernalillo County, New Mexico.
Sawmill Community Land Trust takes a comprehensive approach to the housing challenges faced by low- and moderate-income families by demonstrating a 360-degree, long-term commitment to both our clients and neighborhoods.
Our organizational goals for accomplishing our mission include:
– Create a permanent reserve of affordable housing for families at, or below, 80% of Area Median Income
– Carefully steward and manage our portfolio of affordable housing in order to maintain subsidies and quality
– Provide “as needed” support and counseling to existing homeowners who may be facing unforeseen personal or financial challenges
– Develop retail/commercial/light industrial spaces that benefit the community with job creation and needed services
– Help protect existing residents from negative impacts of new development
– Empower residents to make informed decisions about their future
– Create a built environment that retains its physical integrity for future generations while preserving the natural attributes and cultural history of the community
– Support ecological renewal and energy conservation
– Connect land trust residents, citizen leaders and neighborhood associations with resources through referrals and advocacy in order to support and strengthen families and neighborhoods